We live in a much more liberated society where casual sex is accepted by many people as part of everyday life.
Perhaps you have recently ended a long-term relationship and are not ready to get into a new one just yet, or if you have been single for so long time that you cannot see yourself in another permanent relationship.
One night stands with strangers, which is fraught with dangers so the new trend has emerged – Friend With Benefits – meaning a friend who you have sex with but with no pretence that it is going to turn into anything deeper or more meaningful.
However before embarking on this new type of relationship you need to keep a few things in mind.
1. It is short term – this isn’t a permanent solution – each of you are aware that it will only last until one of you decides to end it usually because they have met someone they do want to develop a full relationship with.
2. It is sexual – although you may be friends and have affection for each other as such, this aspect of the relationship is about satisfying sexual needs not falling in love or deepening intimacy.
3. It is casual – there are no expectations for a deeper emotional connection on either side and you won’t be able to expect this person to accompany you to parties or go on romantic dates together – this is a sexual arrangement – anything more than that and you are having a relationship with each other.
4. It is private – this may not always be the case but many people prefer to keep their FWBs discreet because there can still be some stigma attached especially when you start dating again. Pros ….
There are advantages to this kind of arrangement mainly in that you already know the person so it is much safer than picking up a stranger in a bar. If you have a good, strong friendship you will probably be able to talk things through and lay the ground rules so that you both know exactly where you stand. It can be great fun – no pressure to perform, freedom to explore sexually with a safe, consenting partner and no expectations for it to develop into anything more serious. As with all things there is another side to the story.
…. and cons Unfortunately many friendships are ruined by becoming sexual for the simple reason that while you may both start at the same place emotionally very often one person develops stronger feelings and wants more from the relationship. This cannot be helped – sex and intimacy are so closely related that while you may begin in one place it is easy to find yourself falling in love with your friend or being hurt when they start dating someone seriously. Emotions are fragile.
Latest posts by Esther (see all)
- Are You Ready For Marriage? - October 19, 2016
- 10 Indications That A Person May Be A Control Freak - August 16, 2016
- How To Tell When Someone Is Not That Into You - August 4, 2016